Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Regarding Leti

My earliest memory of Leti Razo was holding her as a baby in her room.

I was about eight or nine years old, and it was a week or two after her mother, Carm, had returned to their home from their hospital. Mark and Al (her brothers, and my closest childhood friends), stood around me, and we all took turns holding her. Being as young as I was, it was a very surreal moment for me. Sure, I knew what a baby was, but the idea that this was a life younger than me, and that I was holding her in my arms, was something I couldn't wrap my brain around at first.

We all grew up.

The years had their ups and downs for us all... they still do, for that matter. But, even when my relationship with Mark and Al became distant and strained as we got older, I still payed attention to how Leti was doing. She always stood in contrast to the three of us- quiet, polite, and sweet, whereas Mark, Al, and I were like the force of a hurricane split into three, causing damage whenever we combined. It mattered to me that she was progressing in her life better than others in her family (and in no way is that a condemnation of said parties- life is what it is, and we take that ride where we let it take us), and I was always proud of her, even when I was too wrapped up and self-obsessed with my own life.

Several years ago now, Leti contracted and eventually beat leukemia. She was the closest thing I had to a sister, and I could not be more relieved and proud of her. I was certain her future would be a bright one. She regained her strength, and continued on her journey.

A year to a year-and-a-half-ago now, she suddenly contracted it again, seemingly out of nowhere. There were silver linings here and there, but the reality is things are not looking good.

I have given my two cents on the matter, and continue to give all the support I am able to, but at this point things are out of my hands. I simply wanted to take a moment and tell you about her- that she is one of the kindest, sweetest people you'd ever meet. Despite what may be coming over the horizon, I wish her and her family nothing but love and the best.

If you have any kind thoughts you would like passed along, you can email them to me at mike.optichero@gmail.com, and I will make sure that she, or Carm, gets them.

Thanks for listening, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment